Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Future Is Ours To Create


With graduation quickly approaching and as I prepare to enter the entertainment industry workforce, I decided that my final blog post for the EBMS program should look at the current state of the industry.  Switching from being a student to a working professional is always a nerve-racking experience for anyone and lately the news has been reporting that the entertainment industry is suffering, which just leads to even more anxiety for those looking to start a career in film, television, or music.


However, according to the-numbers.com, the film industry is still a multibillion-dollar industry.  In 2012, approximately 1.37 billion movie tickets were sold which lead to a $10.71 billion dollar profit in movie ticket sales alone.  Add to that the 100 top grossing movies on DVD last year and that’s an additional $2.4 billion dollars in revenue.  These numbers don’t include Blu-Ray and all the additional sales from movies outside the 100 top grossing films, but still an industry that is pulling in over $13 billion dollars a year doesn’t seem to be struggling as much as the newsmakers would have us believe.  The television and music industries are still hanging up there as well.  According to HollywoodReporter.com, the music industry has reported that illegal music pirating is down significantly and they reported their first revenue growth in 13 years.  Television remains a $36 billion dollar industry and most sources still show an approximate 2.3% growth rate annually.

Overall, looking at the Bureau of Labor Statistics there are currently over 1 million people directly employed by the Film, Television, and Music Industries and many more that work in that field but are employed through a company under a different NAICS code.  After thoroughly researching the state of the industry, I am no longer as concerned with my ability to achieve my dreams of working in what I believe to be the best industry.  So to all my classmates, I leave you all with this…  over the last year I have grown to know each and everyone of you and I value our friendships.  I know that you are all going to do great things in this industry and I look forward to working with each of you in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment